Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Being Prepared

Last summer, I was up in Thunder Bay, Ontario on an overcast, rainy day just driving around and exploring. I was in some park (couldn't tell you the name of it) when I noticed something off the side of the road. As I got closer I realized it was a fox.

Slowing down and coming to a stop, I didn't really think I'd get a chance for a photo, but the fox, looking soaked to the bone, just stood there staring at me. I quickly realized that this particular animal was familiar with people and I might get a shot off after all. Hoping the fox would stay put for a moment, I rolled down my window brought my camera up, pressed the shutter release button, and quietly cursed my stupidity as the camera started beeping at me. I had it on the self timer mode from some previous photo work and had neglected to change it back to regular shooting mode. A full five seconds ticked off before the camera fired. Luckily for me, the fox held its ground while I quickly changed my settings and fired off several more shots.

It's something I should have noticed a lot sooner. Being prepared often times makes the difference between getting the shot, or not getting the shot. This time around, I was afforded some luck and a very accomodating little fox.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that the fox stuck around so that you could get this shot. It oozes personality and emotion.