Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Touch of Spring

Too much time inside, surfing the net, spending hours looking at the work of other photographers and a person could go stir crazy. That's me lately, hunkered down in front of my computer screen exploring everyone else's world and neglecting my own. So, yesterday I grabbed my camera, pack and tripod and headed down a trail into the woods, just to get out and see what I could find. Didn't get very far. There are tree limbs bent down everywhere, a virtual ice covered maze, courtesy of the freezing rain we had earlier in the week. Luckily I didn't have to go far to find something worthwhile.

There were bunny and other little critter tracks all over the place in the snow and I framed several shots of the tracks, shadows and pools of light stabbing down through the trees. On the surface, it seems that such a scene would produce a striking image, but I find myself still searching for the shot that really stands out. What stood out to me on this short little trip were the frozen clusters of needles hanging from the balsam trees. Yes, more ice. I think I mentioned in a previous post that I'm about iced out, but when I set the camera up on the tripod and moved in close with the 105mm micro lens it felt like I was seeing something new. Getting outside and moving around, even for just a little bit, gave me something I'm quite pleased with. It's a reminder to not sit in one place all the time exploring someone else's world.

No comments: